The beast battle is a school required project that requires us to think outside of the box. We are challenged to come up with a sustainable solution for agricultural problems. During this process, we had to fill out a prewrite, come up with a design, create a logo, and record a commercial. The project contributed to our grade in English, Digital Media Arts, Engineering, and Chemistry. The winner with the most innovative solution received a cash prize.
My partner Luis Flores and I decided to focus on protecting a million-dollar business: winery and grape production. Every year a vineyard may be at risk of being damaged by hail. As climate change is rising this is becoming more and more common. Hail can cause significant damage to leaves, stems, shoots, flower clusters and fruit of the grapevines. Considering that hail is the most common during summers when grapes strive the most, it can significantly harm the production of grapes, a late summer fruit. Hail can also completely kill young vines, which costs money and time to replace.
After we chose and researched our subject, Luis and I started sketching out and talking over possible designs for our invention. We drew blueprints and specified the size and material. After finalizing what our project will look like we began filling out the prewrite. Soon after the prewrite was done we started working on our commercial and logo. We named our Invention Vineyard Dome. After most of the work was finished we met up with Dawn Fregosa, the creator of this project, to talk about what else needs to be done and to get some feedback and advice. The last three steps were making a board that showed all of our work, completing the application, and uploading everything to Weebly.
During the process of completing the Beast Battle, I have learned a lot about business and engineering. It thought me some of the steps a person needs to make when coming up with an invention and later trying to advertise it to its potential customers. I’ve also learned a lot of fun and interesting facts about vineyards and natural disasters that can harm agriculture.
To complete this project we applied technological skills of knowing how to research our topic from reliable sources, knowing how to make a google slide and create and record a voiceover, creating a logo, and knowing how to email and print papers needed for our board. We also demonstrated the Schoolwide Learning Outcome of representing self, school, and community by meeting all of the requirements.
The most important attribute that I learned from this project is to work collaboratively with my partner and knowing how to support each other. Another important attribute that I learned from this project was how to properly research a topic and how to use my research in my writing. These skills are valuable to my future because I will most likely work collaboratively with people on future projects.
Commercial Video Link:
During the second semester of Chemistry and Agriscience class we learned about pH and soil. We were required to complete several assignments about soil pH, texture, water capacity, living organisms, nutrients, and plant growth. After we finished learning about all the things that influence soil we were assigned an essay that would connect all of our learning together.
For this assignment we were required to write an 1100 word report about qualities of soil and it’s importance. To complete this project I began by going over its requirements. Then I looked at my past assignments for inspiration about what to write. I also looked at the provided sources and links. I began by writing the body paragraphs and later completed the introduction and the conclusion that would best describe the contents of the report. The report took me about 4 hours to finish. While writing it I learned much more about properties of soil such as how textures, water capacity, and pH influence its quality. It allowed me to review everything I have already learned and helped me furtherly understand.
The SLO I demonstrated with this artifact is “Applying Technological Skills for the 21st Century” SLO. I demonstrated his by knowing how to research a topic and use google docs to write about it. The SLO that I could have demonstrated better on the other hand is the “Self Directed Learner who Communicates Effectively” SLO. I failed to demonstrate this successfully because I procrastinated on my work and ended up turning in the report a day later. Next time I will make sure to organize my time better and complete my assignments on time.
Overall, the Soil Report has helped me review all of the topics we have learned about this year and connect them together. It required me to look at my past assignments as well as furtherly research the properties and importance of soil as well as how it effects plant growth. I believe I could have improved o this assignment if I had finished it on time.